Saturday, February 9, 2008

Raising Up A Righteous Posterity

Today I went to the Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting (broadcast) and came away feeling totally uplifted and energized! It was based on "The Family: A Proclamation to the World". Elder Boyd K. Packer read the Proclamation and discussed it in details.

Then Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Elder Dallin H. Oaks (both in the Quroum of the Twelve Apostles), Sister Julie B. Beck (General Relief Society President), Sister Susan W. Tanner (General Young Women President), and Sister Cheryl C. Lant (General Primary President) discussed, as a panel, ways we can strengthen our families. It was done in such a loving and respectful way that it was so fantastic to listen and learn.

At the very end, our new Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, President Thomas S. Monson, spoke and gave us three guidelines to establish in our homes for raising a righteous posterity:

1 - A Pattern of Prayer
2 - A Library of Learning
3 - A Legacy of Love

Sister Lant was reminding us that of everything we do for our families, the most important thing we can do is LOVE them!!

I was going to take notes, but got caught up just listening that I didn't even open my notebook that I brought with me. Luckily for me I found someone who obviously took notes or was able to remember so much and put it on her blog. If you didn't have a chance to go to this meeting or didn't take notes, go check out Bobbi's notes. I am always trying to find new or improved ways that I can be a better wife & mom so that I can continue to do my very best. This meeting really inspired me to try even harder to do even better! We can always do better. If you would like to see this broadcast, there will be another one at 6pm (Arizona time) at a Stake Center. I'm not very eloquent when expressing my feelings, so all I can say is that this meeting was truly AMAZING!!

A couple of my favorite quotes from the meeting:

"LOVE is what you go through together." ~ James Therber

"It's not about who's right. It's about what's right." ~ Sister Lant


*Thank you Mom for babysitting, so I could go to this meeting!!

4 comments:

Christy said...

That brings back a lot of memories for me from my mission. I learned a lot in detail from my mission on those topics and many others. So I can imagine the sorts of things discussed and brought up in the meeting. Those are great topics.

I remember giving talks on the pattern of prayer etc. That was a big part of teaching the gospel to new members and members alike.

I've always been fascinated by books and having a living environment that was surrounded by learning and a library of great books. It was always important to me to have my own library of knowledge at my own fingertips. That's one thing that Tony and I both feel very strongly about. He has quite a library too.

And I was so blessed to have a mission president (Michigan) who focused the whole mission theme on LOVE... so I learned a great deal of all these on my mission on a regular basis. Great topics. I'm glad these were the topics of choice. I'm sure you walked away with an evening full of spirituality. Always so much to learn.

I'm glad you were able to take a lot from this with you.

I just returned home from quite an eventful day. I'll blog about it.

LuvYa,
Christy :)

onehm said...

Thank you for sharing this. I wasn't able to make it, and I was really sad after DH told me how good it was.
I feel like I now have an idea of what was so wonderful!! (You know how descriptive men can be!)
Great post!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

This was such an awesome meeting. I loved it all.

Ondriawfd said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I missed the meeting so I'm glad to see some of what was talked about. Good advice.